The European Commission has released a communication outlining its action plan to ensure better regulation of online gambling in the EU. The Commission has proposed a series of initiatives covering the following five priority areas:
- Enforcing compliance of national regulatory frameworks with EU law
- Enhancing administrative cooperation among member states
- Protecting consumers and citizens
- Preventing fraud and money laundering
- Safeguarding the integrity of sports and prevention of match-fixing
These initiatives will be implemented over the next two years after which they will be evaluated by the Commission. The Commission also plans to set up an expert group on gambling by the end of 2012.