The UK Foreign Affairs Committee has launched an inquiry into the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)'s policy towards Russia and the broader UK-Russian bilateral relationship. As part of this, the Committee is inviting written submissions by Friday 29 January 2016 on the issues listed below.
- The current state of UK-Russia bilateral relations, and the FCO’s recent record in managing this relationship.
- Russia’s increasingly assertive foreign policy, including in: Russia’s self-defined "near abroad", including Ukraine; the rest of the world, including the Middle East; and whether the UK Government is responding appropriately and effectively to Russian actions and aspirations.
- The future prospects for UK-Russia relations and potential consequences for international relations and security, and the scope for cooperation in areas of shared interests.
- Whether the FCO has the necessary expertise and understanding of Russia’s internal politics, external relations and policy responses to inform effective UK policy-making and strategic planning.
- The current state of UK-Russia economic relations and the extent to which they help shape the bilateral relationship.
- The role of UK cultural institutions, including the BBC World Service and the British Council, in the UK-Russia relationship.
- The human rights situation in Russia and the extent to which this impacts, or should impact, on Russia’s bilateral relationship with the UK.
Submissions can be made by post or by email to the Foreign Affairs Committee at:
House of Commons