Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Egypt and Bahrain have severed diplomatic relations with their neighbour and GCC trading partner Qatar. At the time of publication, this move has been supported by Yemen, Mauritius and the Maldives.
Details of the action taken against Qatar are still emerging, but, in addition to the closure of embassies and the expulsion of diplomats, the following measures have been publically announced:
- Saudi Arabia has closed its land border with Qatar
- The allies have closed their airspace to Qatar Airways
- Airlines from the six countries, including Etihad and Emirates, are cancelling routes to and from the Qatari capital Doha
- Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain have banned their citizens from entering Qatar
- Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain have also given any Qatari visitors or residents two weeks to leave their territory