The regulatory requirements for global stock plans seem to increase every year. In many countries, either the issuing company or the local subsidiary is responsible for submitting tax, securities and/or currency exchange reports annually. Below is a list of common annual reporting requirements through January 31, 2013.
Between October 1, 2012 – December 31, 2012
- China – SAFE Annual Quota: If your company has completed the registration requirements necessary to administer employee stock plans in China, the annual quota application for the upcoming year is due. The application will be filed by the designated agent for the stock plans in China.
January 15, 2013
- Thailand – Annual Securities Report: Companies must report option activity to the Thai SEC within 15 days of the "closing date of sale." For reporting purposes, the closing date of sale for options is the last day of each calendar year (i.e., Dec. 31) in which the stock awards vest.
January 31, 2013
- Malaysia – Tax Report (Form BT/ESOS/2005): Annual report of RSU share distributions, option exercises, and stock purchases that took place in the prior calendar year.
- Philippines – Securities Report: Annual report for companies that rely on a securities exemption under Section 10.2 of the Philippines Securities Code. (The Philippines’ SEC does not specify a filing date for the report; however, we recommend that the filing be made no later than the end of January each year for the prior calendar year.)
- United States – Tax Report: Annual information statement report for employees with ISO exercises (Form 3921) and/or ESPP share transfers (Form 3922).
- Vietnam – Exchange Control Report: Annual disclosure by companies that have obtained approval from the State Bank of Vietnam (SBV) to offer stock awards. The report should include information about (a) option exercises, (b) RSU vesting events, and (c) amounts paid to employees through the stock awards during the past fiscal year. This report is normally submitted to the SBV within the first month immediately following the end of the relevant fiscal year.