On April 17, 2014, the Department of State implemented an arms embargo against the Central African Republic (CAR). This action reflects U.N. Security Council (UNSC) resolution 2134, which extended the embargo original adopted by the UNSC in December 2013.
Section 126.1 of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), which governs "prohibited exports, imports, and sales to or from certain countries," was amended to add the CAR at Section 126.1(u), making it the policy of the United States to deny licenses or other approvals for exports or imports of defense articles and defense services destined for or originating in the CAR, except on a case-by-case basis, for:
- Defense articles intended solely for the support of or use by the International Support Mission to the Central African Republic (MISCA); the UN Integrated Peace building Office in the Central African Republic (BINUCA) and its guard unit, the African Union Regional Task Force (AU-RTF); and the French forces and European Union operation deployed in the Central African Republic;
- Non-lethal military equipment, and related technical assistance and training, when intended solely for humanitarian and protective use, as approved in advance by the Committee of the Security Council concerning the Central African Republic;
- Personal protective gear temporarily exported to the Central African Republic by United Nations personnel, representatives of the media, and humanitarian and developmental workers and associated personnel, for their personal use only;
- Small arms and related equipment intended solely for use in international patrols providing security in the Sangha River Tri-National Protected Area to defend against poaching, smuggling of ivory and arms, and other activities contrary to the laws of the Central African Republic or its international legal obligations;
- Arms and related lethal military equipment for Central African Republic security forces, intended solely for support of or use in security sector reform, as approved in advance by the Committee of the Security Council concerning the Central African Republic; or
- Other sales or supply of arms and related material, or provision of assistance or personnel, as approved in advance by the Committee of the Security Council concerning the Central African Republic.