Entitled status on economic grounds

A person who would have qualified under regulation 1(1)(k) for wealthy resident status under the Housing (Jersey) Law 1949 and its associated Regulations ("Housing Law"), will have Entitled status under the CHW Law.

The CHW Law provides that a person may be granted Entitled status by the Chief Minister where the Minister is satisfied that a grant is justified –

  1. on social or economic grounds (or both); and
  2. As being in the best interests of the community.

How to apply

Applications for Entitled status on economic grounds will be made and processed in a similar way to those previously made under the Housing Law.

The criteria against which applications made on economic grounds are considered include:-

  1. the likely contribution to tax revenues;
  2. the business/social background of the applicant;
  3. the number of dependants and the extent to which these persons may in time acquire housing rights if consent is granted;
  4. other, non-economic benefits which the island may receive if consent is granted;
  5. total net worth; and
  6. the possibility of the applicant bringing a business to the island which will generate tax revenues and provide employment whilst not adversely impacting upon the island’s resources.

Applications for consent in principle are processed through the office of the Director of High Value Residency.  The Director acts as a single point of contact with the local authorities so as to provide a personal and individual support mechanism. It is, however, important that professional tax and legal is obtained before submitting an application. 

Once qualification in principle is established an application can be made for a registration card. A fee of £5,000 will be payable when the card is issued.

What rights does the status grant ?

A person with Entitled status acquired through birth and/or residence in Jersey can buy or rent any property and can work in any employment. Those who qualify on economic grounds will be given a licence which requires them to buy or rent only one residential property at any given time and stipulates a minimum purchase price or rental sum to be paid.

Status acquired under this aspect of the CHW Law can be lost if a person:

  • is absent from Jersey for a period or aggregate periods exceeding 5 years and was not ordinarily resident in Jersey during those periods; this is an improvement on the position under the Housing Law where only one period of absence was permitted up to a maximum 5 year period;  or
  •  breaches a condition of the grant.

Until Permanent Entitled status (i.e. after 30 years residence) is achieved a registration card will be issued and will need to be renewed every period of 5 years.