The Revenue Legislation Amendment Act 2018 (NT) (Act) makes a number of amendments following the recent Budget announcements
Specifically, the Act amends the Payroll Tax Act 2009 (NT) with effect from 1 May 2018 to introduce a new payroll tax exemption for employers that hire Northern Territory residents. The exemption is available for up to the first two continuous years of employment of either:
- a new employee who is a resident of the Northern Territory or
- an existing employee who becomes (for instance, by relocation), or is replaced by, a Northern Territory resident.
provided the new hiring or residency occurs by 30 June 2020.
The Act also amends the Stamp Duty Act 1978 (NT) to:
- remove the exemption for transfers of onshore and coastal petroleum and pipeline interests
- provide an exemption from motor duty for vehicles registered in the Northern Territory as a result of the closure of the Federal Interstate Registration Scheme and
- extend the stamp duty Senior, Pensioner and Carer Concession to the new Northern Territory Concession Scheme.
These amendments are made alongside other changes, including amendments to the Mineral Royalty Act 1982 (NT).