As of July 1, 2011, Canada changed the rules of the Federal Skilled Worker Category.

To apply under this category, applicants have two options: (1) They must have “Arranged Employment” or (2) they must have one year of continuous full-time or equivalent part-time paid work experience within the last ten years in one of the 29 eligible occupations which appear on the Ministerial List of occupations.

The Ministerial List is amended from time to time, and was last changed earlier this year (see link below).

The government also announced that a maximum of 10,000 applications under the Ministerial List category will be considered for processing in the 12 months starting on July 1, 2012. Within this quota, a maximum of 500 federal skilled worker applications per eligible occupation will be considered for processing.

Under the Arranged Employment category, one way to show Arranged Employment is for the applicant to have a valid Canadian work permit at the time the application is made, and the time the application is finalized. In addition, the Canadian employer must make an offer to hire the TFW on a permanent basis upon the worker becoming a permanent resident. The quotas mentioned above are not applicable to the Arranged Employment category.

Many TFWs in Canada obtain permanent resident status by transitioning to it using the Arranged Employment Skilled Worker category.

Ministerial List of Occupations

Arranged Employment Category