The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency has proposed to add the International Boundary Waters Treaty Act (IBWTA) to the Law List Regulations and the Inclusion List Regulations of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA). IBWTA licenses would be triggers for environmental assessments under the CEAA. Comments received by September 1, 2008 are being considered in the preparation of the Regulations.

An IBWTA license is necessary when a project in Canada may alter water levels or flow rates in the United States. The proposed regulations are available for review