As highlighted above, on 1 August 2012, NICE and the NHS Information Centre for Health and Social Care published their recommendations for the health care measures they advise would be suitable to form part of the Commissioning Outcomes Framework for 2013/2014. The Framework is intended to focus on quality and reduce health inequalities.
The proposed mental health indicators focus on:
- People with dementia who are prescribed anti-psychotic medication
- People with severe mental illness who have received a list of physical checks
- Recovery following talking therapies
- Access to community mental health and psychological therapies by people from black and minority ethnic groups
Of particular interest is one of the indicators proposed relating to whether patients on Care Programme Approach (CPA) are followed up within seven days of discharge following a psychiatric inpatient stay.
This indicator is supported in the DH publication, Refocusing the care programme approach – policy and positive practice guidance, which states that additional support of the CPA should not be withdrawn without:
- Exchange of appropriate information with all concerned, including carers
- Plans for review, support and follow up as appropriate
- Clear information regarding action to take and who to contact in the event of a relapse