Percentage of consumers that are worried about online privacy.
The percentage of consumers who say they avoid companies that do not protect their privacy.
The percentage of consumers that check for a privacy trust seal before using a website or application.
What to think about when considering whether your organization should purchase a privacy certification:
- Does the certifying agency have its own privacy or security standards?
- Do the certifying agency’s standards exceed legal requirements?
- Do your organization’s practices meet the certifying agency’s standards?
- If the certifying agency’s standards change, is your organization prepared to modify its practices accordingly?
- Has the certifying agency been investigated by the FTC, or another consumer protection authority, for deceptive or unfair practices?
- If so, are you confident that the certifying agency’s seal and review process is non-deceptive and that association with the agency will not result in negative publicity?
- Have consumers complained to the FTC about the certifying agency?
- Does your organization have a mechanism in place to ensure that the license for the seal is renewed each year and/or that the seal is removed from your website if the license expires?
- Have plaintiff’s attorneys used the seal against other organizations by alleging that those organizations agreed to a higher standard of care by adopting the seal?