Below is the Federal Policy team’s weekly preview, published when Congress is in session.
• President Donald Trump will meet with Democratic congressional leaders to discuss infrastructure. • The Senate plans to take up a disaster relief package and continue processing judicial nominees. • The House will take up bipartisan legislation to promote retirement savings.
- The House is in session today through Thursday. The agenda includes a major bipartisan bill to encourage retirement savings and a bill to reverse recent actions Democrats say weaken the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will give House members a briefing on rising tensions with Iran.
- The Ways and Means Committee will hold a hearing on surprise medical bills, a growing interest for lawmakers and the White House.
- The full list of this week’s House committee activity can be found here.
- The Senate will take up a disaster relief bill as well as confirmation of several Trump judicial nominees.
- The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will hold a hearing on renewable energy.
- The Senate Agriculture Committee will hold a hearing on climate change and agriculture.
- The current list of Senate committee activities can be found here.
- Trump will hold a political rally in central Pennsylvania today.
- Wednesday, he will meet with Democratic leaders to continue discussions on infrastructure.
- Friday, he will travel to Tokyo for a state visit.