This Friday, January 10, the CFPB will host a training event in Phoenix, Arizona for housing counselors, legal aid attorneys, and other advocates about the new mortgage servicing rules taking effect on that date. The event—which will include an in-depth training presentation and feature remarks from CFPB Director Richard Cordray—follows the CFPB’s release of new resources intended to boost awareness of and educate the public about the new consumer protections provided by the rules. The new consumer resources include:
- Sample letters for consumer use related to topics such as information requests anderror corrections;
- Mortgage tips for homebuyers, homeowners, and borrowers facing foreclosure;
- A database of answers to mortgage-related questions generated through AskCFPB, an interactive online tool for consumers;
- Online tools for consumers to locate housing counseling agencies in their area and tosubmit complaints online;
- Factsheets covering new consumer protections provided for under the rules andaccess to foreclosure avoidance options; and
- A reference guide for housing counselors and others that interact with consumers entitled to new federal protections.
A live broadcast of the event—Protecting Homeowners: New Tools for Empowering Consumers and Advocates—will be available on consumerfinance.gov at 1:00 PM EST.