World Water Day 2014 will be celebrated around the world today and is about what you will do this year and beyond to promote sustainable practices in the realm of water and energy. There are five key messages for this year's "Water and Energy" focus:
- Water requires energy and energy requires water.
- Supplies are limited and demand is increasing.
- Saving energy is saving water. Saving water is saving energy.
- The "bottom billion" urgently need access to both water, sanitation services and electricity.
- Improving water and energy efficiency is imperative as are coordinated, coherent and concerted policies.
Today is also the launch of the 5th edition of the UN World Water Development Report (WWDR) and is the first in a new series of theme-oriented reports to be released on an annual basis. These reports are primarily targeted at national level decision makers and water resources managers but all should gain insight from this research. The report is available at http://www.unwater.org/worldwaterday/world-water-development-report/en/.
To learn more about World Water Day, the importance of water resource management and special events taking place around the world, visit www.unwater.org/worldwaterday.