Manufacturing Transition Programme
The Australian Government has recently announced that Applications are now open for the Manufacturing Transition Programme. This $50 million programme aims to assist Australian manufacturers become more competitive and sustainable.
Who can apply?
The programme is open to any manufacturing business spending greater than $4 million on capital expenditure/expansion activities. In particular, it focusses on businesses looking to transition or expand their operations or activity to higher value-added or more knowledge intensive manufacturing.
It is a competitive, merit based programme that provides:
- grants ranging from $1 million to $10 million
- funding for up to 25 per cent of eligible project costs (i.e. projects must have a minimum outlay of $4m and applicants can seek a minimum of $1m in assistance), and
- support over a two year period.
Eligible activities include:
- Changing or extending your existing premises.
- Acquiring, building, installing and commissioning new machinery and equipment.
- Training in the use and maintenance of new machinery and equipment.
- Purchasing technology or intellectual property.
Other activities that are in line with the overall objectives of the programme will also be considered.
Applications must score highly against set criteria to be recommended for funding. The criteria will be scored out of 100 as follows:
- The extent to which your project represents a transition or expansion of your business’ operations or activities to higher value-added or more knowledge intensive manufacturing (25 points).
- The level of net economic benefit your project will generate (25 points).
- The value for money offered by your project (20 points).
- A demonstrated capacity and capability to carry out the project (20 points).
- The expected productivity improvements your project will achieve (10 points).