From 6 April 2012:
- judges to sit alone on unfair dismissal cases – unfair dismissal cases in the tribunal will be heard by a judge sitting alone, without lay members. As a result, cases are likely to be listed for hearing more quickly;
- deposit orders – the amount of a deposit order a tribunal can order a party to pay will increase from £500 to £1,000;
- costs awards – the maximum amount of costs a tribunal can award will increase from £10,000 to £20,000;
- witness statements – witness statements will be taken as read in the tribunal, unless a judge directs otherwise; and
- witness expenses – tribunals will be given powers to direct parties to bear the costs of witness attendance, including the costs of witnesses called by the successful party. The government will withdraw state-funded expenses.