In its Programme for a Partnership Government published this month, the Government has proposed a number of measures in relation to employment and industrial relations matters, including proposals to:
- require companies of 50 or more to complete a wage audit in order to encourage wage transparency and identify possible gender pay gaps;
- over the period up to 2020, “significantly increase” parental leave in the first year of a child’s life;
- explore the mechanisms through which SMEs can reward key employees with share options in a tax-efficient manner;
- support the gradual, negotiated repeal of the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Acts “having due regard to the priority to improve public services and in recognition of the essential role played by public servants”; and
- by 2021, increase the national minimum wage to €10.50 per hour.