IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Tunisia has relaxed its visa policies for citizens and foreign residents of Gulf Cooperation Council countries.
What does the change mean? Citizens of GCC countries will no longer need a visa, and holders of resident permits issued by a GCC country may obtain a 15-day visa on arrival.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate.
- Visas/permits affected: Visas on arrival and visa-free entry into Tunisia.
- Who is affected: Citizens and foreign residents of GCC countries (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates).
- Impact on processing times: Eligible travelers will not need to apply for a visa at a Tunisian consulate before travel.
- Business impact: The policy will ease travel from Gulf countries to Tunisia, especially for those traveling on short notice.
Background: The policy was a joint decision by the Interior Ministry and the Ministry of Tourism. Residents of GCC countries must hold a resident permit that is valid for at least six months from their arrival date in Tunisia and show proof of a prepaid hotel reservation and sufficient funds to cover their stay.
BAL Analysis: The new policy is intended to boost tourism and will facilitate travel from Gulf countries to Tunisia.