On June 1, 2017, China's National Center for Food Safety Risk Assessment (CFSA) published a guidance book on the implementation of GB 9685-2016. This guidance book, titled , is written in Chinese and has over 300 pages. It includes six chapters and four appendices:
- Chapter 1 - Overview, which briefly introduces the history, status and role of GB 9685 standard;
- Chapter 2 - Standard Amendment Summary, which talks about the background, principle, and overall process of GB 9685 amendment, as well as the major revision in the 2016 version;
- Chapter 3 - Standard Content Description, which discusses each section of GB 9685-2016;
- Chapter 4 - Overview of China's Food-Related Product Management, which explains the management of food-related products in China and the system of standards for food-related products;
- Chapter 5 - Overview of Regulations of Food-Contact Materials in Foreign Countries, which introduces the food-contact regulations in the U.S., EU, Japan, Canada and South Korea;
- Chapter 6 - Overview of Risk Assessment of Food-Contact Materials in Foreign Countries, which talks about the risk assessment of food-contact materials in the aforementioned foreign countries except South Korea.
- Appendix 1 - full text of Management Rules for the Administrative Approval of New Varieties of Food Related Products;
- Appendix 2 - full text of Rules for the Petition and Acceptance of New Varieties of Food Related Products;
- Appendix 3 - an English index of additives listed in GB 9685-2016;
- Appendix 4 - new food-related products approved by NHFPC.
Keller and Heckman LLP is in the process of getting a hard copy of the Implementation Guidance and will provide further information on this GB 9685 guidance shortly. As previously mentioned, GB 9685-2016 will become effective on October 19, 2017.