1. New laws or regulations
State level: No developments.
Local level (Beijing & Shanghai): No developments.
Communist Party Rules: No developments.
2. Upcoming laws or regulations
3. Government Action
(1) On December 3, 2015, Sheng Peiping (“Shen”), the former Deputy Governor of Yunnan Province, was sentenced to 12 years’ imprisonment by the Beijing No.1 Intermediate People’s Court for taking bribes, and his personal property in the amount of RMB 2 million (USD 308,118) was confiscated.
The court found that while holding office as Party Secretary at Teng Chong County and as Mayor of Si Mao City from 2000 to 2012, Shen provided illegal assistance in company mergers and acquisitions, sales of iron ore, the development of a copper mine, and the handling of collective conflicts in the mining area to several companies, abusing his position, and accepting cash and properties from the legal representatives of such companies totaling RMB 16.15 million (USD 2.48 million). Shen was given a lighter sentence due to his confession and his providing significant clues for other major cases. (2) On December 9, 2015, Guo Youming (“Guo”), the former Deputy Governor of Hubei Province, was sentenced to 15 years in prison by the Intermediate People’s Court of Nanyang City, Henan Province for accepting bribes, and his personal property in the amount of RMB 2 million (USD 308,118 ) was confiscated. All the illegal gains have been retrieved.
Guo was found guilty of taking bribes, either directly or through his immediate relatives, amounting to RMB 23.79 million (USD 3.66 million) from several local companies during his term of office from 2001 to 2013. In exchange, Guo provided various favors for enterprise restructuring, alteration of land usage, and the refund of land grant payments. Guo was given a lighter sentence due to his confession.
(3) On December 18, 2015, Yao Mugen (“Yao”), the former Deputy Governor of Jiang Xi Province, was sentenced to 13 years’ imprisonment by Intermediate People’s Court of Xiamen City, Fujian Province for accepting bribes. Yao’s personal property valued at RMB 3 million (USD 462,178) was confiscated.
Allegedly, during his term of office from 1998 to early 2013, Yao accepted bribes aggregating more than RMB 23 million (USD 3.54 million) from several companies and individuals and abused his official position by providing illegal benefits in the form of project approvals, the award of construction project contracts, etc. to the bribe-givers. Yao was given a lighter sentence due to his confession and his return of illegal gains.
(4) It was reported on December 28, 2015 that Wang Zhumou (“Wang”), the former President of No. 2 Medical School of Hainan Province was sentenced to 10 years and 6 months’ imprisonment by the Intermediate People’s Court of Haikou City, Hainan Province for accepting bribes.
From March of 2010 to 2014, Wang illegally assisted others in seeking improper benefits, and accepted bribes amounting to RMB 1.54 million (USD 237,251) in return.
(5) On December 29, 2015 Zhou Wenbin (“Zhou”), the former President of Nanchang University was sentenced to life imprisonment by the Intermediate People’s Court of Nan Chang City, Jiang Xi Province for taking bribes and misappropriating of public funds, with all his personal properties confiscated.
Zhou was found guilty of abusing his position in construction project contracts, education project cooperation, sourcing, job promotion, and arrangements for contractors, partners, and certain college staff during his years in office from 2002 to 2013. The bribes given in exchange for the above favors included RMB 21.11 million (USD 3.25 million), HKD 300,000 (USD 38,708), USD 10,000, KRW 900,000 (USD 765), shopping cards worth RMB 24,000 (USD 3,697), and a Cartier watch worth RMB 38,600 (USD 5,946). In addition, Zhou embezzled the public funds of Nanchang University totaling RMB 58.75 million (USD 9.05 million) for profitable activities. 4. Other
5. China-related FCPA Action