Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) introduced legislation (S. 3459) July 31 to amend the Department of Energy High-End Computing Revitalization Act of 2004 to improve the high-end computing research and development program of the Department of Energy.

The following day, Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) introduced legislation (S. 3469) to establish a new organization to manage nuclear waste, provide a consensual process for siting nuclear waste facilities, and ensure adequate funding for managing nuclear waste. The measure is based on recommendations the Department of Energy’s Blue Ribbon Commission released earlier this year.

A bipartisan group of 24 senators led by Senators John Hoeven (R-ND), Kent Conrad (D-ND), and Max Baucus (D-MT) introduced the Coal Ash Recycling and Oversight Act of 2012 August 2. The measure would establish federal standards for the management, disposal, and oversight of coal ash, creating a state permitting program under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act; states could also grant permitting authority to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Representative Jim McDermott (D-WA) introduced the Managed Carbon Price Act of 2012 August 2. The bill calls for a carbon tax on fossil fuels but refunds 75 percent of revenues to consumers, with the remaining 25 percent directed to deficit reduction. The measure would reduce greenhouse gas emissions 80 percent from 2005 levels by 2050. Though the legislation is unlikely to move this session, Congressman McDermott introduced it in anticipation of tax reform negotiations in 2013.