Statistics on merger notifications made to the Competition Authority in 2013 until 23 September 2013 are as follows:
- The number of merger notifications to the Irish Competition Authority in 2013 so far is 25 which is significantly up from where it was at the same time last year: 17 notifications (an increase of 47% Year on Year to date 2012-2013). This figure of 25 is below where it was at the same time in either 2010 (32) or 2011 (31). However, almost half of the notifications in 2012 came in the last quarter which may indicate some growth in M & A activity and a possible late surge this year as well.
- Notifications in 2013 so far have come from both trade and private equity deals with a significant increase in the trade to trade deals.
- Last year, the most notifications were made in the financial sector, second was industry & manufacturing, followed by food & drink, and then software & technology. The remaining sectors were media, health & medical, pharmaceutical, retail and others.
- This year, the sectors in descending order are: services (6); technology, media and telecoms (4); financial services (4); food, drink, hospitality (4); pharma/health (3); and energy, gambling and manufacturing (1 each).
- 2013 will also see at least two Irish EU Merger Regulation notifications from Ireland (Canada Life/Irish Life and Hutchinson Whampoa (3)/Telefonica (O2 Ireland)