The Norwegian Ministry of Cultural Affairs has sent a matter for public hearing which concerns allowing large scale private lotteries in Norway.
The Ministry suggests that up to five new private lottery participants shall be allowed to arrange large scale lotteries with a turnover up to NOK 300 million annually.
The proposal has the following main suggestions:
- If there are more than five applicants that satisfy the conditions set by the Authority, the five permits will be allotted by drawing lots.
- The permits shall be valid for seven years.
- Only socially useful and humanitarian organizations that have considerable international activities may apply for a permit.
- The lotteries that will be arranged must not lead to gambling addiction.
- At least half of each lottery’s turnover after deductions for gains/prizes must be paid to the ideal purpose.
The Ministry of Culture also proposes new regulations for marketing of such lotteries.