Last month the Department of Health published the first NHS outcomes framework which aims to shift focus from process targets such as accident and emergency waiting times, towards those issues that are of importance to patients. The framework provides an overview of what the NHS will aim for when seeking to improve patient outcomes.
The framework focuses on the following areas:
- preventing people from dying prematurely;
- enhancing quality of life for those with long-term illness;
- helping people recover from illness;
- ensuring people have a positive experience of care; and
- ensuring people are treated in a safe environment and they are protected from avoidable harm.