The Home Office states on its website that residents in certain countries who want to come to the UK for longer than six months must obtain a certificate confirming that they are free from tuberculosis (TB) before applying for a visa. However, even where an applicant wants to come to the UK for less than six months, but the visa may be granted for more than six months, eg Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Short Term Staff Migrants or Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Government Authorised Exchange) Migrants, because visas are approved slightly longer at times to allow for travel, a TB certificate will still be required. We recommend that a TB certificate is obtained to pre-empt any possible refusals.

The only exceptions to the above are children under 11 years old, diplomats and their families (but not other members of diplomats' households, such as domestic staff), returning residents, and holders of certificates of entitlement.

Similarly, some nationals of certain countries are required to register with the police if they are in the UK for more than six months; this can again include those who intend to be in the UK for less than six months, but whose visas are granted for six or more months. In addition, those given leave which is eligible for extension (so that the total stay in the UK is more than six months) should normally be required to register with the police.

Some exceptions to registration with the police apply to those granted leave:

  • as a seasonal agricultural worker;
  • as a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Migrant sponsored as an overseas government employee or a private servant is a diplomatic household;
  • as a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) Migrant;
  • on the basis of marriage to or civil partnership with a person settled in the United Kingdom or as the unmarried or same-sex partner of a person settled in the United Kingdom;
  • as a person exercising access rights to a child resident in the United Kingdom;
  • as the parent of a child at school; or
  • following the grant of asylum.

For a full list of applicable countries for TB testing, please click here. For a list of countries whose nationals may be required to register with the police, please click here; exemptions are listed here.