An apprentice exposed to asbestos as a young man went on to develop mesothelioma.
The man, known only as L, was diagnosed with mesothelioma at the age of 77. L had been exposed to significant levels of asbestos as an apprentice boiler maker and engine repair shop worker in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Ewan met Mr L in hospital and was able to take evidence from him about his working conditions and exposure to asbestos.
Mr L died soon after first meeting Ewan who represented Mr L’s family at the inquest into his death. The inquest ruled that Mr L had died as a consequence of being exposed to asbestos.
After the inquest Ewan pressed on with Mr L’s legal claim and secured an admission of liability and an interim payment. The case reached a final settlement and a sum of compensation was paid to Mr L’s family.
Mr L’s family said:
“Mr Tant handled our case with sensitivity and understanding at a very difficult time and helped us to get the best settlement possible. We would highly recommend him and his firm.”
Mesothelioma lawyer Ewan Tant said:
“Despite meeting Mr L only in hospital, we were able to obtain enough information from him about his former working conditions to secure a financial settlement for his family, and I am pleased that we were able to settle the case relatively quickly”.