The highlights of the new guide include:
- companies are required to address contamination, regardless of whether or not the contamination occurred as a result of a reportable spill (currently the threshold for a reportable spill is 1500L)
- companies are required to address contamination, regardless of whether the spill occurred recently or resulted from a historic spill
- companies must conduct an environmental site assessment and submit remediation plans to the NEB for approval
- companies must follow the most stringent federal or provincial targets for cleanup
- companies must file a remediation closure report once cleanup is complete
The new guide does not apply to sites that are already considered by the NEB to have been remediated.
For a pdf copy of the guide, see here.