U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) revised its Handbook for Employers: Instructions for Completing Form I-9 (M-274). Issued January 5, 2011, the handbook includes expanded guidance on lawful permanent residents, refugees and asylees, and acceptable documents for employees in temporary protected status (TPS).
Key changes in the revised handbook also address the following:
- J-1 Exchange Visitors and F-1 Students, including F-1s Changing to H-1B Status (“The Cap Gap”)
- H-1B Employees Changing Employers (Portability)
- Extensions of Status
- Interruptions in Employment
- Electronic Retention of Forms I-9 and Documentation of Electronic Storage Systems
- E-Verify and Federal Contractors
The revised handbook for employers is available here.