Ms S was involved in a road traffic accident in February 2010 when she was riding her bicycle in Central London. She was knocked off her bicycle by a car emerging from a side road.

Ms S landed awkwardly on her right ankle. An ambulance was called to the scene and she was taken to hospital. X-rays were undertaken of her ankle but no fracture was detected. She was discharged on crutches.

Ms S was able to work from home but approximately 4 to 6 weeks after the accident she was still not able to walk without crutches. At this point she instructed me and I advised her to seek a private orthopaedic referral as she was told an appointment on the NHS would take 2 to 3 months.

She consulted with an orthopaedic consultant, who carried out an MRI scan which showed a fracture to her right talus. Her right ankle was immediately placed in plaster.

The plaster was removed after 6 weeks and then Ms S commenced a course of physiotherapy treatment over a 9 month period. By this point the insurers for the vehicle who caused the accident had admitted liability. I obtained an interim payment to cover the cost of private medical treatment.

Unfortunately Ms S’s symptoms did not improve with physiotherapy. She consulted another orthopaedic consultant who specialised in ankle injuries and who recommended arthroscopic surgery. I obtained a further interim payment from the insurers to cover the cost of the surgery and Ms S underwent it on a private basis.

Ms S then underwent a further year of rehabilitation which was again funded by the insurers.

Despite her best efforts during rehabilitation, Ms S still had severe pain and restriction of mobility. She was advised to undergo surgery to carry out subtalar joint fusion. This would improve her symptoms of pain and should allow her to recommence sporting activities. Ms S is only in early 20’s so had real concerns about her future prognosis and therefore she decided to undergo the surgery.

The insurers again agreed to fund the cost of the surgery on a private basis. Ms S noticed a marked improvement following this surgery. Her pain levels decreased and she had increased mobility. Her chances of developing complications in the future were minimal.

Her case for compensation was amicably settled for a figure in excess of £70,000, but the biggest issue for Ms S was that she had been able to access brilliant medical care throughout her recovery and this had led to a very good outcome.