IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Peru has expanded the eligibility of Venezuelan citizens to apply for temporary resident permits to regularize their status, according to a supreme decree.
What does the change mean? Venezuelans who entered Peru before Aug. 1 (the effective date of the decree), are eligible to apply for special “Temporary Permits of Permanence” (PTP) that are valid for one year. A previous supreme decree only applied to Venezuelans who entered Peru before Feb. 2, 2017.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate and ongoing.
- Visas/permits affected: Temporary resident permits.
- Who is affected: Venezuelan nationals who entered Peru before Aug. 1.
- Impact on processing times: Applications will be decided within 30 days of submission.
- Business impact: The permits authorize paid work activities.
- Next steps: Applicants must apply within 120 business days of Aug. 1 at Migratory Services Management of the National Superintendent of MIGRACIONES headquarters in Lima or at applicable regional headquarters.
Background: The special permits are available to Venezuelans who entered legally before Aug. 1 and who either have an expired visa or hold regular status but want to choose this option. Applicants must show a clean police, criminal and judicial record. The purpose of Supreme Decree No. 023-2017-IN is to allow regularization of status for an estimated 8,000 Venezuelans who entered Peru since the previous decree in February.
BAL Analysis: Venezuelans who arrived between Feb. 2 and July 31 should be aware of their eligibility to apply for the permits and apply before the deadline. The permits are valid for one year, and before expiration the holder must apply for an immigration status under current laws.