A number of Congressional panels have held hearings recently on health policy issues, including the following:
- A Senate Commerce Subcommittee on Consumer Protection hearing on "Competition in the Health Care Marketplace."
- A House Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts and Competition Policy hearing on "Biologics and Biosimilars: Balancing Incentives for Innovation.”
- A House Energy and Commerce Oversight Subcommittee field hearing on "Terminations of Health Policies by Insurance Companies: State Perspectives and Legislative Solutions."
- A House Judiciary Commercial and Administrative Law Subcommittee hearing on "Medical Debt - Is Our Healthcare System Bankrupting Americans?"
In addition, the following hearings and markups currently are scheduled:
- The Senate Special Committee on Aging is holding a hearing July 29 on medical research and education.
- On July 29, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee is voting on a number of bills, including S. 372, the "Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act of 2009" and S.1508, the "Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Act."