A plumber has been given a ten-month suspended jail sentence for gas safety failures which led to a gas explosion and fi re in which a pensioner sustained 21% burns rescuing his nine-year-old granddaughter.

Peter Naylor became the sixth person, and the second plumber, to receive a custodial sentence in the past year for gas safety failures. The incident occurred when Naylor had removed a gas meter at John Davies’ bungalow to access a leaking water stopcock before leaving the house to buy a replacement fi tting, leaving Mr Davies to dry the kitchen fl oor with an electric heater which caused the gas to explode and led to the ensuing fi re.

The HSE investigation found that Naylor was not registered with the Gas Safety Register to work of gas appliances and he had not isolated the gas system correctly. Peter Naylor pled guilty to breaching Regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and in addition to being given a ten-month suspended prison sentence, he was ordered to pay £2,000 costs and to carry out 150 hours’ unpaid work.

Paul Johnston, Chief Executive of Gas Safe Register, said:

Gas work should only be undertaken by someone who is competent and qualifi ed to do so, and that means they must be on the Gas Safe Register. Our research has shown that around 250,000 illegal gas jobs are undertaken each year.’