Balfour Beatty Rail Projects Ltd, GT Railway Maintenance and Elec-Track Installations (now know as Hythe Realisations Ltd) were fined a total of £600,000 on 9th May 2008 after a worker suffered 30% burns and had to have part of his leg amputated after he received an electric shock from an overhead power line. Three Elec-Track employees were working on an elevated platform at Marston Green during modernisation work to the West Coast Main Line route in July 2003 when one, Richard McBride, touched a power line carrying 25,000 volts. McBride not only suffered serious burns but also had to have his leg amputated below the knee. His colleagues managed to jump clear of the line. The workers had believed the line had been made safe. There was a permit-to-work system requiring the person responsible for isolating the power to issue each work group with a specific permit once it was safe to commence work. However, on this occasion the system was bypassed and a general permit was granted to the person in charge of the site. This person was supposed to telephone the workers to advise it was safe to begin working on the line. On the night of the accident the engineering supervisor sent the men out under the live wires to wait for the call. The isolation was delayed and the men went ahead and began working as they believed the power had been isolated. Investigation after the incident highlighted issues with the amended system. The workers did not have reliable confirmation that it was safe to commence work, in the form of a permit. In addition, as there was nothing for them to hand back at the end of a shift, the possibility would be left open that the power could be turned back on before it was safe to do so. Balfour Beatty Rail Projects Ltd and GT Railway Maintenance pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of HASWA and Elec-Track (now Hythe Realisations) admitted breaching Section 2(1). Each company w as fined £200,000.