On December 11, the IRS released its Exempt Organization Newsletter, Issue Number 2014-20.
- IRS issues final regulations on new requirements for tax-exempt hospitals
- Register for IRS webinar: Gaming and Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Register for EO workshops
- IRS EO phone forum and webinar Q&As posted
1. IRS issues final regulations on new requirements for tax-exempt hospitals
The IRS and Department of Treasury have issued final regulations that provide guidance regarding the requirements for charitable hospital organizations added by the Affordable Care Act.
Each Section 501(c)(3) hospital organization is required to meet four general requirements on a facility-by-facility basis:
- establish written financial assistance and emergency medical care policies,
- limit amounts charged for emergency or other medically necessary care to individuals eligible for assistance under the hospital’s financial assistance policy,
- make reasonable efforts to determine whether an individual is eligible for assistance under the hospital’s financial assistance policy before engaging in extraordinary collection actions against the individual, and
- conduct a community health needs assessment (CHNA) and adopt an implementation strategy at least once every three years.
(The first three requirements listed above are effective for tax years beginning after March 23, 2010 and the CHNA requirements are effective for tax years beginning after March 23, 2012.)
The ACA also added new section 4959, which imposes an excise tax for failure to meet the CHNA requirements, and added reporting requirements under section 6033(b) related to sections 501(r) and 4959.
These final regulations provide guidance on the requirements described in section 501(r), the entities that must meet these requirements, and the reporting obligations relating to these requirements under section 6033. In addition, the final regulations provide guidance on the consequences for failing to satisfy the section 501(r) requirements.
2. Register for IRS webinar: Gaming and Tax-Exempt Organizations
Thursday, January 22 at 2 p.m. ET
- Gaming’s impact on tax-exempt status
- Gaming and unrelated business income
- Maintaining records
- Reporting requirements
- Workers conducting gaming activities
- Reporting winnings and withholding income tax
- Gaming Excise taxes
- IRS resources
3. Register for EO workshops
Register for our upcoming workshops for small and medium-sized 501(c)(3) organizations on:
- Jan. 9 – Salt Lake City, UT Hosted by University of Utah & the Utah Nonprofits Association
4. IRS EO phone forum and webinar Q&As posted
Other important resources:
- EO Select Check
- A-Z Index
- Calendar of Events
- Stay Exempt
- Life Cycle
- Free articles for your publications
- Subscribe to the EO Update
If you have a specific question about exempt organizations, callEO Customer Account Services at 1-877-829-5500.