Here is a quick reminder of key employment law changes which came into effect on Monday (1 October 2012).
- Increase in National Minimum Wage ('NMW') rates
The new increased NMW rates are as follows:
- Apprentices: £2.65 (from £2.60)
- For workers aged 16 and 17: £3.68 (unchanged)
- For workers aged 18 – 20: £4.98 (unchanged)
- For workers aged 21 and over: £6.19 (from £6.08)
- Accommodation offset: £4.82 (from £4.73)
- Auto-enrolment: New Employer Pension Duties
The start of the staging period for auto-enrolment begins, with employers holding a PAYE scheme of 120,000 workers or more now being required to automatically enrol their workers into a qualifying workplace scheme and pay mandatory minimum contributions from today. This duty will be introduced on a staged basis to smaller employers over a five-and-a-half-year period.