The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) has published the Chairman’s summary of its plenary meeting that took place in Paris on 25 - 27 February 2009.
In the plenary meeting FATF agreed to take new steps to protect the international financial system from abuse, agreeing to:
- Issue a statement calling on its members, and urging all jurisdictions, to apply effective counter-measures to protect their financial sectors from the money laundering and terrorist financing risks emanating from Iran.
- FATF has also updated its previous statement on money laundering and terrorist financing risks emanating from Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Pakistan and São Tomé and Príncipe.
- Adopt in-depth evaluation of the anti-money laundering and counter terrorist-financing system in South Africa.
- Publish a detailed study on the money laundering and terrorist financing vulnerabilities in the casinos and gaming sector.
- Analyse the impact of the global financial and economic crisis on efforts to combat money laundering and terrorist financing.
View Chairman’s summary, Paris Plenary, 25-27 February 2009, 27 February 2009