On 16 December 2021, the Vietnam Ministry of Health ("MOH") issued Decision No. 10688/BYT-MT on the prevention and control of the COVID-19 pandemic in respect of individuals entering Vietnam ("Decision No. 10688"). Among other things, Decision No. 10688 states that persons entering Vietnam who are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 can self-quarantine at places of residence for three days upon entry, and take the SARS-CoV-2 by RT-PCR method on the third day upon entry.
This new guideline from the MOH signals a significant step by the Vietnamese authority to relax COVID-19 restrictions toward a safe reopening of the economy. We will keep you posted on future developments. Please stay tuned.
General conditions on COVID-19 prevention and control under Decision No. 10688
Decision No. 10688 sets out general conditions on COVID-19 prevention and control for persons entering Vietnam, particularly the following:
- Have a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result using RT-PCR method issued by the departing country's competent authority within 72 hours before entry
- Perform health declaration before entry and install/use the Vietnam health declaration application (PC-COVID) to perform health declaration and monitoring
- Commit to pay testing, medical quarantine, treatment costs and other related expenses (if any)
- Vietnamese citizens, overseas Vietnamese and relatives who are not vaccinated or not fully vaccinated will be vaccinated in Vietnam for free during the quarantine period.
Quarantine requirements under Decision No. 10688
Persons who are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 must do the following:
- Conduct self-quarantine and health monitoring at places of residence (houses, hotels, resorts, offices of companies/organizations, dormitories, guest houses of production establishments and businesses) within three days upon entry, and must avoid contacting with people and leaving their residence
- Undergo a SARS-CoV-2 test using RT-PCR method on the third day upon entry and if the result is negative, continue to monitor their health for a full 14 days upon entry.
Persons who are not vaccinated or not fully vaccinated must do the following:
- Conduct self-quarantine at their place of residence within seven days upon entry
- Take a SARS-CoV-2 test using RT-PCR method on the third and seventh days upon entry and, if the result is negative, continue to monitor their health for a full 14 days upon entry
- Persons under 18 years old or of 65 years old and above, pregnant women and persons with underlying medical conditions are allowed to self-quarantine with their caretakers. Such caretakers must be fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19, commit to doing the self-quarantine with such persons and comply with testing and COVID-19 prevention requirements similar to persons entering Vietnam.