If you are planning a vacation in Mexico or Canada, be sure to apply for your passport or passport card even if you are crossing the border by land or sea. As of June 1, 2009, stricter new travel documentation requirements are in place pursuant to the West Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) and they are strictly enforced. It is advisable to not make firm travel plans until your travel documents are in hand so as to minimize the risk of trip cancellation due to document issuance delays.