The Employment Tribunal and EAT statistics for 2006/2007 have recently been published. Points to note include:
- There has been a 15% rise in the number of claims accepted by tribunals.
- 8% of claims submitted were subsequently rejected.
- The average compensation award for unfair dismissal fell from £8679 to £7974.
- Equal pay and unfair dismissal constitute the highest volume of claims, with approximately 44,000 each out of 238,546.
- There has been widespread concern that the public sector equal pay claims are swamping the tribunal system.