Lawyer for victims of a coach crash in Switzerland welcomes news of the return of majority of those affected, calls for full investigation

The lawyer representing passengers involved in a horrific coach crash with four lorries in Switzerland last week has said she is now looking into the cause of the collision and routes to recovery for those involved.

The incident - which involved 39 passengers, including five who remain in hospital – occurred as the 39 holidaymakers made their way back from Italy to South Wales on Friday 4th September 2015.

The vehicle belonged to Edwards coach operators which is based near Pontypridd.

Today, the travel lawyer acting for a number of those injured in the collision, welcomed news of the safe return to the UK of 34 of those on board; amidst calls for an ‘urgent investigation’ into the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Clare Campbell, a partner at Leigh Day Solicitors, said:

“This was a truly horrific crash which involved a number of vehicles and dozens of people.

“Whilst many have returned home relatively unscathed, others have been left both physically and mentally affected by what must have been a terrifying experience.”

According to media reports following the incident the crash took place close to construction works. A spokesperson for the coach company confirmed that the coach had been stationary when it was hit from behind by a postal delivery lorry.

Clare continued: “We have been contacted by a number of people who were involved in the crash who want to better understand exactly what happened to cause such a terrible incident.

“To that end, it is now imperative that an urgent investigation is carried out in conjunction with the local authorities in order to ensure that steps can be taken to prevent further collisions.”

It is understood that the driver was amongst the most severely injured who, according to the relative of one of the passengers on board the coach, had to be cut free from the wreckage.

Police attending the scene said a total 20 ambulances and three helicopters were used to take those involved to the hospital.