Welsh Rural Affairs Minister Elin Jones announced on 15 September the provision of a fund of 17m euros to support the fisheries industry in Wales. The European Fisheries Fund will provide grants for the development of a fisheries sector that is sustainable and profitable, which supports strong local communities, and is managed effectively. The Fund will provide approximately 17 million euros of EU funding, which will be matched funded by the Welsh Assembly Government and will focus on five priority areas:
- Adaptation of the Community fishing fleet; improving management and control of access to fisheries; promoting organisation of processing and marketing chain of fisheries products; improving skills and training;
- Aquaculture, inland fishing, processing and marketing of fisheries and aquaculture products;
- Measures of collective benefit;
- Sustainable development of fisheries areas; and
- Technical assistance to facilitate the delivery of assistance.