The All Party Parliamentary Group for Excellence in the Built Environment has produced a report on the quality and workmanship of new housing in England.(1) It contains 10 recommendations:
- setting up the New Homes Ombudsman;
- standardisation of housebuilding sales contracts;
- a right for buyers to inspect properties before completion;
- a requirement for builders to provide buyers with a comprehensive information pack;
- a review of consumer rights laws governing new house purchases;
- a thorough review of warranties;
- the adoption of quality systems to International Organisation for Standardisation standards for housebuilders;
- a significant increase in skills training;
- a minimum standard for compliance inspections; and
- the housebuilders' annual customer satisfaction survey should be more independent.
For further information on this topic please contact Chris Fellowes at Mayer Brown International LLP by telephone (+44 20 3130 3000) or email (email@example.com). The Mayer Brown International LLP website can be accessed at www.mayerbrown.com.
This article was first published by the International Law Office, a premium online legal update service for major companies and law firms worldwide. Register for a free subscription.