The new digital, culture, media and sport secretary, Nadine Dorries, has announced that 18 new film productions have received almost £1 million from the government's UK Global Screen Fund, which helps UK films reach the international stage.(1) She has also announced a six-month extension to the UK Film and TV Restart Scheme to support approximately 400 additional productions.

The announcement follows earlier funding from the UK Global Screen Fund for films Ali & Ava and Mothering Sunday, supporting their official selection at this year's Cannes Film Festival, and will help ensure the international success of the independent film sector, supporting the development of new talent and promoting stories from across the United Kingdom to be shared around the world.

The £500 million UK Film and TV Production Restart Scheme opened last year and has supported 835 productions working across the United Kingdom, protecting over 70,000 jobs and £2.3 billion of production spend, the government says.

The latest extension, which means the scheme now remains open for applications until 30 April 2022, will provide cover for claims up to 30 June 2022. According to the government, this extra six months of support will protect around 34,500 jobs and £1.2 billion of production spend.

During the next six months, the government says that it will work with industry to exit from the UK Film and TV Production scheme. To support the transfer of risk to the market, the scheme fee will increase to 2.5% from 1 November 2021. The government says that the fee increase will ensure that the current needs of the UK production industry are maintained while balancing the need to deliver value for money for taxpayers.

For further information on this topic please contact Alexander Lea at Wiggin by telephone (+44 20 7612 9612) or email ([email protected]). The Wiggin website can be accessed at www.wiggin.co.uk.

Endnotes

(1) To read the government's press release in full, click here.