In this Q&A, Rahul Singh discusses the current interface between competition and e-commerce. He comments on the effect of a market study on the possible anti-competitive actions of Indian e-commerce websites, which was published by the Competition Commission of India (CCI) in January 2020 and comprised accounts from all stakeholders that are relevant to the e-commerce sector. This Q&A looks at the following:
- the nature and implications of the CCI's market study (00:34);
- current and future CCI trends when dealing with anti-competitive action in e-commerce and the possibility of jurisdictional overreach (05:09);
- technological changes on e-commerce platforms and the CCI's approach to these (10:14);
- whether loyalty programmes constitute a policy violation of competition law (14:18);
- the preference for self-regulation of entities or a regulatory body (17:27); and
- whether India should consider introducing a director disqualification regime (20:24)
For further information on this topic please contact Rahul Singh at Khaitan & Co by telephone (+91 120 479 1000) or email ([email protected]). The Khaitan & Co website can be accessed at www.khaitanco.com.