9 months to Brexit – what is happening and how can business prepare?
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
The 28-29 June EU Council is a key crunch point in the negotiations. It is the last meeting prior to the 18-19 October EU Council - described by both sides as the deadline for agreeing a Brexit withdrawal agreement - pending approval by the UK and EU Parliaments.
Our experts will examine developments at the June Council and assess expectations for the negotiations as the deadline approaches. They will also cover the most pressing issues for business and provide examples of how organisations are managing their Brexit risk and seizing the opportunities.
Topics for discussion will include:
- Lessons from the June Council and where do the UK and the EU27 go from here.
- The remaining obstacles to an EU/UK exit deal to secure a transitional period from 29 March 2019.
- Expectations for the framework for the UK's future relationship with the EU.
- What business should be doing to prepare for 29 March 2019 and beyond.
- Ameet Gill, Partner, Hanbury Strategy, advised David Cameron for over 10 years, working on 2 General Elections and 3 referendums and spent 6 years in Downing Street. As No 10 Director of Strategy he was deeply involved in the pre-referendum EU negotiations.
- Tom White, Head of Europe, Global Counsel, has overall responsibility for the firm's work with the EU institutions and governments in the EU27. He works with a number of firms in the UK and the EU27 to prepare for Brexit, primarily in the financial services, energy, retail, audio visual and manufacturing sectors.
- Eric White, Consultant, Herbert Smith Freehills. Prior to joining Herbert Smith Freehills Eric was a member of the European Commission's Legal Service between 1985 and 2016, where he led the Trade Policy and WTO team. This gives him particularly valuable insights in navigating the uncharted waters of Brexit.
- Gavin Williams, Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills, has been deeply involved in Brexit planning since 18 months' prior to the EU referendum. He has been advising major global companies on their Brexit strategies.
3 July 2018
11:00 - 12:00 UTC