The National Waste & Recycling Association (“NWRA”) issued a November 2016 White Paper described as assisting:
. . .organizations in the waste and recycling industry to properly identify their NAICS codes for reporting purposes to various government agencies, some of which are Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), Bureau of the Census, and others.
The North American Industry Classification System (“NAICS”) is the standard used by federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing and publishing statistical data related to the United States business economy.
The White Paper was prepared by the NWRA Data Collection Working Group.
NAICS was developed by the United States Office of Management Budget. It was adopted in 1997 to replace the SIC system. Both sets of codes identify industries in the United States and assign them a code.
The Standard Industrial Classification system (“SIC”) is still frequently utilized by a number of state environmental agencies. For example, SIC codes may be utilized for purposes of classifying facilities in state permitting programs such as those involving Clean Water Act National Pollution Discharge Elimination Systems storm water permits. The primary SIC code determines in many states (including Arkansas) if a facility needs a Clean Water Act Industrial Storm Water Permit and, if so, the type of monitoring/sampling that must be undertaken.
The White Paper includes a table that enables the translation of various waste recycling operations from SIC to NAICS.
The six waste and recycling industry NAICS codes referenced in the White Paper as representing the industry’s core operations are:
- NAICS 562111 Solid Waste Collection
- NAICS 562119 Other Waste Collection
- NAICS 562212 Solid Waste Landfill
- NAICS 562213 Solid Waste Combustors and Incinerators
- NAICS 562219 Other Nonhazardous Waste Treatment and Disposal
- NAICS 562920 Materials Recovery Facilities
The common codes classified as representing supportive operations include:
- NAICS 551114 Corporate, Subsidiary, and Regional Managing Offices
- NAICS 518210 Data Processing, Hosting, and Related Services
- NAICS 811310 Commercial and Industrial Machinery and Equipment ( except Automotive and Electronic) Repair and Maintenance
- NAICS 541330 Engineering Services
- NAICS 811111 General Automotive Repair
The codes described as representing ancillary operations include:
- NAICS 562112 Hazardous Waste Collection
- NAICS 562211 Hazardous Waste Treatment and Disposal
- NAICS 562910 Remediation Services
- NAICS 562991 Septic Tank and Related Services
- NAICS 562998 All Other Miscellaneous Waste Management Services
The White Paper includes descriptions intended to assist in identifying which NAICS codes are applicable to a certain waste or recycling activity.