During the early hours of 6 December 2014, Mr Javaid Iqbal, a 29-year-old father of three, was employed by KK Security Services Ltd (KK Security) as a security guard on a construction site in Leigh, Wigan. KK Security was sub contracted by Veritas Security (Southern) Ltd (Veritas).

The site’s generator failed in sub-zero temperatures. In an attempt to keep warm Mr Iqbal lit some barbecue coals in a wheelbarrow, which he placed in a 20-foot steel container used as the site office. Mr Iqbal was found dead by police a few hours later having died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The HSE investigation found a number of failings, including:

  • Mr Iqbal had made a number of attempts to re-start the site generator and had sought assistance from both his employers but neither had provided any meaningful assistance to him
  • KK Security failed to provide a management system to protect the welfare and safety of their employees, particularly lone workers
  • no real provision had been made by KK Security for emergency support, the only option open to Mr Iqbal being to ring his employer who was hundreds of miles away and could offer no practical assistance
  • Veritas failed to put proper arrangements in place with the site occupier for emergency situations outside office hours, such as a loss of power or heating.

KK Security pleaded guilty to breaching section 2(1) of HSWA 1974 and was fined £8,000 along with £4,854 costs.

Veritas pleaded guilty to breaching section 3(1) of HSWA 1974 and was fined £8,000 plus costs of £6,220 costs. Both parties were also required to pay an additional £120 victim surcharge.