The Australian Law Reform Commission (ALRC) today released the Issues Paper for its current enquiry into copyright and the digital economy. The review focuses on the suitability of the current law in the evolving digital marketplace.
The ALRC is seeking comment on a number of issues including:
- time-shifting exceptions and private use of online material;
- technical activities including caching, back-up, data mining and cloud computing;
- fair use;
- transformative uses;
- contracting out of exceptions;
- statutory licensing for educational institutions; and
- special exceptions for libraries and archives.
Submissions are due by 16 November 2012 and the ALRC is expected to release its report by the end of November 2013.