The Extension of Security of Tenure Amendment Bill (“Amendment Bill“) has recently been published for comment. It seeks to amend the Extension of Security of Tenure Act 62 of 1997 (“ESTA“) by:
- Amending and inserting certain definitions;
- Substituting the provision of subsidies with tenure grants;
- Further regulating the rights of occupiers;
- Further regulating the eviction of occupiers by enforcing alternative resolution mechanisms provided for in ESTA;
- Providing for the establishment and operation of a Land Rights Management Board; and
- Providing for the establishment and operation of Land Rights Management Committees to identify, monitor and settle land rights disputes.
The Amendment Bill will first be considered by the National house of Traditional Leaders. Thereafter it will proceed to the Portfolio Committee on Rural Development and Land Reform before being tabled at the National Council of Provinces and National Assembly.