On February 1, the European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (“EIOPA“) published a consultation paper on its advice on the development of an EU Single Market for personal pension products (“PPP“). This consultation is in response to EIOPA’s 2014 preliminary report “Towards an EU-Single Market for personal pensions” and EIOPA’s 2015 consultation paper on the creation of a standardised Pan-European Personal Pension product.
EIOPA is asking:
- Would PPPs benefit from harmonisation of provider governance standards?
- Would PPPs benefit from harmonisation of product governance rules?
- Would PPPs benefit from harmonisation of distribution rules?
- Would PPPs benefit from harmonisation in disclosure rules?
- Are respondents aware of any differences in prudential regimes that would lead to an unlevel playing field amongst PPP providers?
- Are further supervisory powers necessary?
- Do respondents agree with EIOPA’s assessment of the policy options’ impacts?
The Consultation Paper is open for responses until April 26 and such responses will be published on EIOPA’s public website. Consultation Paper.